Strategies employed (all of which I still regard as useful!):
- Greeting at the door with a smile.
- Ending with "thank you" rather than starting with "please".
- Giving choice.
- Clearly explaining consequences.
- Planning a lesson with competition and challenge.
- Tonnes of praise.
- Reminders of past glories.
- Having a chart to record praise and the winner each week gets a phone call home.
- Using the school's rules and discipline system.
- Lowering my voice.
- Appealing to their empathetic nature.
- Finally, emotional blackmail...
It apparently has no value at all if a student "needs" his chewing gum back!
After 15mins of being screamed at, he finally left as my next class arrived. At the end of the day, I did get a beautiful apology. So maybe something did work. Either that or he does like me after all!